Commandments of Confinement
From Ampleforth Abbey in North Yorkshire comes this useful advice for us all at this unsettling time:
1. Don’t fret if things aren’t perfect – take the long view.
2. Don’t keep checking the greener grass – flourish where you are planted.
3. Don’t panic – remember that you are standing on solid ground.
4. Don’t stamp your foot – tread lightly with a humble humour.
5. Don’t be a martyr – freely offer your help.
6. Don’t be too proud – muck in and get your hands dirty.
7. Don’t force the pace – learn how to rest and relax together.
8. Don’t try too hard – find some time just for yourself.
9. Don’t focus on the faults of others – celebrate what they have that you don’t.
10. Don’t try to do this alone – pray for and with each other.